Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Some Writing from Nancy Tucker :: Literature Papers

Some create verbally from Nancy wear outThis page contains three pieces, Advice to Young Poets and Writers, Driving,and The Big Five- O. Advice to Young Poets and Writers disembodied spirit is not easy. Write. Because you can, you must. Remember your roots, your pain. Use them. But roots and pain atomic number 18 not enough--move on from your own past. Look outward--use your eyes to see some(prenominal) what other battalion do not see and what other tribe see but do not talk about. Write. Learn to see to the crickets, the dogs, the squeak of bicycles and to other peoples stories. Ask questions. Wait for answers. Write. Look inward--test truth on your own pulses. Writing is both art and craft Use your skill, your endowment fund to tell the truth--thats the point of being a writer. Write. Avoid self-righteousness--other people live truths, too. Laugh. And cry. In the same sentence, if you can do it well. Be afraid. Write anyway. Always, endlessly, always do what your teach ers say cannot be done. And when you teach, if you teach, remember you too are a learner respect your students truths even as you nudge them toward growth. Write. Begin now.Nancy Tucker April, 1997 Return to 313-2000 Return to 313work Return to 840 work Return to Nancy Tuckers homepageDrivingIts 630 and I drag my briefcase to my car, pull out of the pose lot and join the snake of cars heading home. The white line becomes my put across as darkness slips down behind me. Im on the road again, Willie. Drivin my life away, Eddie. I eat flattened fruit n pastry bars from a side pocket in my pocketbook and wish for pasta in alfredo sauce or a abstruse burger and a beer. But Im still driving, driving, driving, so on that points no hope of that. nt ? March, 2000THE BIG FIVE-0H by Nancy TuckerI have a book on my nightstand called Aging Gracefully. Someone bought it for me, hoping it would overtake me hope and courage, I guess. Its next to another gift book, Women Turning 50. Oh yeah, you guessed it. In a few days. The Big 5-0. Half-a-century. Yeah, it boggles my mind, too- Im gonna be 50. While Im pleased that people think of me and care enough to give me books, I really moot that 50 is something that happens to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment